Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Volumes of academic success

library-books

It’s true, we are a bit obsessed with books in our house. I like the smell of them and the way they feel. I get a kick out of ‘rescuing’ a classic from the op-shop and giving it a place on the shelf, even if I know I may not get around to reading it for a couple of years. As homeschoolers we also implement some of Charlotte Mason’s theory, and therefore use a lot of “living books”. 

I’ve got no idea how many books we’ve got…do people really count them up? Anyhow, I found this interesting - a new study has found that children from households with 500 books were 33 per cent likelier to finish year 9 compared with those with none; they were 36 per cent likelier to graduate from high school; and 19 per cent likelier to complete university.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/higher-education/volumes-of-academic-success/story-e6frgcjx-1225871261108

No comments:

Post a Comment